Lucifer Jones

Friday, April 07, 2006

Introducing Lucifer Jones

I've been putting off this matter too long.

It's time for me to integrate my religious philosophy and theory of everything. I'm going to be wreckless and provocative and kick up dirt and dig holes in sacred ground. I really don't know much of any other way to get to the point besides something of a heartless inquisition.

I am not an enemy of faith or religion. Nor am I a crusader against hypocrisy. I am an investigator and anthropologist into what I hesitantly call 'regimes of truth'. I don't wish to give any special credence to post-modernism and I certainly have no truck for moral relativism. But I think that too many of us are floating above suspicion - literally we are too satisfied with a decent explanation rather than understanding the dynamics of knowledge production, inheritance and structure. I'm trying to discover the difference between "I'd like to believe.." and "I know that the reason for this is..". In other words, I'm trying to get rid of wishful thinking about religion.

I am therefore an amateur theologist on a goalless mission. I am digging up bones and planting seeds in fresh fields. I expect to bring light even as I will be accused of doing evil. I do not wish to uproot or banish what I see as a fundamental expression of human curiosity and intellect - that thing which is our recognition of and reconciliation with the what Sagan called 'the numinous'. I wish to expand my vocabulary and enter this rich and deep tradition of human history.

So watch out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home