Lucifer Jones

Saturday, December 16, 2006

My Bar Mitzvah

One of the boisterous boys that Boy hangs out with carried the Torah around the congregation today for the first time. It was also a first for me, the first time I'd attended a Jewish ceremony. It left me with several interesting impressions.

The first thing I noticed about today's Shabbat was the number and frequency with which the congregation gives praise to God. In the 2.5 hours I attended, with my head covered in reverence to the presense of the Almighty, I could almost recite Baruch Atah Adonai Eloheinu Melech ha'olam oseh ma'aseh vereshit. Already the rhythm of that incantation is lost to me, but I'm sure that I could pick it up within a few minutes of hearing it again at another service.

I'm struck, as most folks probably stereotypically are, at the arcanity of the rites which are certainly deeply known to the devout and yet almost entirely unknown to the rest of us. We know something happens in Temple. We know our Jewish friends are different somehow (If we know they are practicing Jews), but what it is we don't quite know, until we go. What struck me was the offhandedness with which much of it is referred. I asked a co-worker last week what might be considered an appropriate gift for this ceremony and he sounded completely dismissive when he suggested a videogame. I tend to believe this is a subtlety, perhaps even a defense mechanism I have never recognized before.

I love the interplay between the rabbi as celebrant and the Cantor and the extent to which they call and respond in bumpy unison with the congregation. I am intrigued by the calling to the people by the rabbi when he teaches the lesson of the day. What did Joseph do next, and why was Jacob's withdrawal from criticism of his vision important?

There was little surprise at the reverence paid the Torah itself and not much of a revelation in how much Hebrew shares in common with Arabic. The standing and sitting on cue as well as reciting from the prayer book was perfectly familiar.

The extent to which the expression of worship is literal was underscored to me, and also the extent to which Jews take their example to the world seriously. Both of these qualities were enormously refreshing to me. There is more than sentiment at work with their affections towards Israel and a great deal of confidence expressed in their choice to take what their faith offers. It's something I would expect to find much parallel agreement to the comments of the Pope this year as regards the putative coercion of Islam. As well, these Jews take very seriously their integration with the West, with the ancient Greeks and Romans.

Somewhere in my universe are 613 commandments. Undiscovered, undeclared perhaps, but awaiting discovery in my lifelong call to living in light. It is good to know I have brothers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home